3.02.2010

Yogurtland

While it may not be totally Japanese, Yogurtland is quickly becoming one of my favorite places in Okinawa.


Yogurtland is a self-serve frozen yogurt chain that began in California in 2004.  Since then, two shops have popped up in Okinawa, of all places.  I'm guessing the large number of Americans here has something to do with it, but the Okinawans seem as equally excited by Yogurtland.

Fred took me to my first Yogurtland when we spent the day in Naha, Okinawa's capital.  I had only been in Japan for a week and was very excited to find out I could get frozen yogurt here!  The other Yogurtland is closer to where we live in a city called Chatan.  Below is a picture of American Village where the Chatan location resides.


Yogurtland is completely self-serve, from selecting the flavor or flavors of yogurt you want to choosing from a number of tasty toppings.  The toppings are a mix of good ol' fashioned western-style treats to some more traditional Japanese sweets like azuki beans.  Does anyone remember Koala Yummies?  I used to love these when I was a kid, and then at some point, they seemed to fall off the face of the earth.  Welcome back, my delicious little Koala friends.


I've heard several funny stories about "dumb" Americans trying out Yogurtland for the first time.  The price of your yogurt is determined by weight, not by the size of the cup you pick.  I heard of a family of four that was unaware of this pricing system so they generously piled on the yogurt and toppings.  When they went to pay, the total for their 4 frozen yogurts was over $40.  It is hard to control yourself, especially around Koala Yummies, but I still try to stay in the $3-$4 zone. 

Below is a quick video we took last time we were there.  Okinawans and Americans coming together for a tasty treat.  Yogurtland, you do rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment