1.21.2010

Early to bed, early to rise

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. And this is how I've spent my first days recovering from jet lag. It's not as bad as I imagined, but my internal clock is certainly struggling to keep up. I felt fantastic when I woke up my first morning, only to crash in the early evening and wake up before sunrise. The dogs are jet lagged too. I heard Frankie wake up and walk around the house at 2 a.m. He starting eating and then wanted to go outside. I feel you, Frankie. I wanted to do the same thing.


I made my first drive through the island today when Fred took me to one of the bases to get my ID card. The island is pretty. I'm not sure how long it will take me to figure out the lay of the land. The streets don't even have names here. Apparently directions are based on landmarks. Plus throw in the whole driving on the other side of the road thing and I'm thoroughly out of my element. I don't think the roads are ready for me yet.


The base looks like any other military base I've ever been on. After getting my ID card, Fred took me to the exchange. I forgot I was in Japan for a bit. It's like a giant Wal-Mart with designer hand bags and perfumes mixed in, complete with every American fast food you could desire. I was depressed and excited at the same time.


I also went to my first Japanese restaurant last night. Fred broke me in gently by taking me to a sushi place near one of the bases. Lots of Americans dining there. I almost felt like I was at the Japanese pavilion at Epcot and not really in Japan because of all the Americans. The menu was in Japanese and English, so pointing and smiling was completely acceptable. Per the photos on the wall, the owner of the restaurant is a childhood friend of Tiger Woods. Food was great and I got a hot towelette. I always appreciate a good hot towelette.


Tomorrow Fred is off work, so hopefully I'll get to explore more than the American bases. More photos to come!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I hope you actually keep this up!! Keep exploring!! I love the comment about feeling like you were in Epcot, we said that quite a few times in Africa too! Miss you both! XO

    ReplyDelete